Friday, January 22, 2010
Homer and Morgan Winegar believe they may have finally found happiness in the quiet college town in which they have settled. Perhaps now in their new life together with Morgan’s nine-year-old son, they can each leave a troubled past behind.
But when Morgan’s psychology students begin exhibiting bizarre behavior, the couple quickly becomes entangled in an experiment headed for catastrophe. Someone is illegally administering a mind-altering drug to unwitting students. With the potential for millions of dollars in profits on the line, the pharmaceutical designers are more than willing to set aside morals to test the limits of the subconscious and mind control.
As the growing ranks of test subjects fulfill increasingly disturbing commands, Homer and Morgan race to discover who’s pulling the strings—and how they are doing it. But as the final stages of research point to a deadly calamity, events from the past threaten to shatter the couple’s fragile trust—just as they need it most. Will they be able to overcome the forces that threaten to pull them apart and find a way to stop the impending tragedy?
“Altered State is a masterpiece of pharmaceutical knowledge, diabolical ambition, and well-developed characters. Fast paced and skillfully written, the story moves rapidly through a terrifyingly believable plot to a satisfying conclusion.” –Betsy Brannon Green, Author of the Haggerty Mystery Series and the Duty Series
“Another stimulating read from Gregg Luke. Altered State is inescapably compelling, medically accurate, and disturbingly plausible. Yet amongst the rich science speaks a wonderful message that human trust is perhaps the most cherished gift we can give one another.” –Aaron Jones, MD, FAAFP
Gregg Luke has done it again! What a fantastic read. I don't hand out those 5's too often, but this was definitely deserved! He has a gift of being able to make you love characters, give you a dynamic and interesting plot, AND give you an intense suspense- no way is it predictable or ordinary! Love it!!! -Hillary, LDS Women's Book Review
This book was a lot of fun to research. 99% of the medical, chemical, and psychological references are accurate. Where I wandered into pseudo-fiction is with the creation of SPAAM. If you don't know what that is, read the book! My purpose in writing this novel was to show ability of addiction to alter thoughts, perceptions, and actions. All addiction is chemical in nature, even those addictions where no habit-forming substance is taken; i.e. shopping, gambling, pornography, etc. I believe if you know how something is affecting you, you might have a better chance of beating it. The original title for this novel was Whisperings of Darkness, in reference to Zachary's identifying Scandia's evil subliminal commands as "whispers." My editors thought Altered State was creepier. I like both. I set it at Utah State University because, living in Cache Valley, it was easy to reference. Plus, it's a great school! Go Aggies!
Win your free copy of Altered State by Gregg Luke
Must be a follower of the blog to enter.
1 entry for sharing an addiction you've overcome (or tried to). You all know I'm addicted to chocolate. Still fighting that battle!
2 entries for sharing the current giveaway on Twitter or Facebook (please provide a link)
4 entries for posting about the current giveaway or the month-long contest on your personal blog or putting it on your sidebar. If you post about the overall contest, please let me know which book you'd like your extra entries put towards. (please provide a link)
Please include an e-mail address or other contact info.
Contest closes February 6th.
Contest open to residents of U.S. and Canada.
Join us tomorrow. We'll be giving away A Tapestry of Spells by Lynn Kurland.
Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2017 (58)
- ► 2016 (68)
- ► 2015 (93)
- ► 2014 (124)
- ► 2013 (199)
- ► 2012 (158)
- ► 2011 (85)
- Book Giveaway - Love Your Body by Brooke Parker
- Winner - My Son, John
- Book Giveaway - All the Stars in Heaven by Michele...
- Winner - Altared Plans
- Book Giveaway - The Pigpen by Kevin Krogh
- Book Giveaway - Torn Apart by Diony George
- Winner - Loyalty's Web
- Winner - Chickens in the Headlights
- Book Giveaway - Women of Virtue by Jodi Robinson
- Winner - Guided by Him to a Thinner, Not-So Stress...
- Book Giveaway - A Tapestry of Spells by Lynn Kurla...
- Book Giveaway - Altered State by Gregg Luke
- Winner - Where the Wind Blows
- One Lovely Blog Award
- Book Giveaway - Methods of Madness by Stephanie Bl...
- Winner - 101 Gourmet Cupcakes
- Book Giveaway - Counting the Cost by Liz Adair
- Book Giveaway - The Sister Pact by Cami Checketts
- Win Discipline Me Right by Mary Simmons
- Giveaway - My Son, John by Kathi Macias
- Altared Plans by Rebecca Talley
- Win Loyalty's Web by Joyce DiPastena
- Win Chickens in the Headlights by Matthew Buckley
- Book Giveaway - Guided by Him to a Thinner, Not so...
- Book Giveaway - Where the Wind Blows
- 101 Gourmet Cupcakes Giveaway
- Happy New Year
- ▼ January (27)
My Favorite Sites
- My Devotional Thoughts
- I'd Rather Be Reading At The Beach
- I Am a Reader Not a Writer
- My Book a Day
- Blooming with Books
- We All Make Mistakes in Books
- Read Your Writes
- Brooklyn Berry Designs
- Fitness for Mom
- Getting Your Read On
- A Booklover Forever
- Amber Argyle
- Charity Writes
- Jen's Blog of Random Thoughts
- Cheryl's Book Nook
- Janet Jensen
- Diony George
- Rachelle Writes
- Good Clean Reads
- Lo Johnston Writing
- Rachel Ann Nunes, Author
- Socrates Book Reviews
- Jill Will Run
- The Book Bug
- The Book Journey
- Caution Redhead Running
- I Have Run
- Always Training Trio
- Hungry Runner Girl
- If I can't convince you - I'll atleast confuse you
- Just Me & My Running Shoes
- Just Trying is for Little Girls
- Larissa Milano Fitness
- Literary Time Out
- Miss Mae
- Mom and More
- Tristi Pinkston, LDS Author
- Pam's Wildrose Blog
- Reading with Monie
- Make it Simple Sister
- a journey in the shoes of a foodie, athlete & wife
- Run Fast Mommy
- Raketer Mama
- The Balanced Writer
- Princess Runs
- Tall Mom on the Run
- Running Diva Mom
- Running Rachel