Thursday, January 28, 2010
Fourteen-year-old Curtis Horner and his father, sister, and grandmother move during the summer of 1966 from the city to a small valley in northern Utah. They rent a house next to a dairy farm owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. Pedersen and their several children. Adjusting to his new rural environment proves to be more than Curtis expected as he quickly makes new friends—and enemies. Curtis and his father’s pigpen project sparks a series of extraordinary events that teach young Curtis far more about himself and about life than he bargained for.
Curtis was just about to ask how it was Lloyd knew so much about Evelyn’s folks when Mr. Giles’s voice interrupted their conversation.
“You kids get to the back now,” he called out as the tractor reached the point where the road began its quick descent, and he shifted down a gear. The small jolt that resulted from the pin shifting an inch from the front to the back of the hole in the hitch combined with Eric’s foot—or both feet—pushing against the front bale as he scampered to the back to send that same bale—the one on which Ellen was kneeling as she turned at Mr. Giles’s command—tumbling off the front of the load. Bryce had at that moment reached for her hand to help her, but touched only her outstretched fingers as she followed the bale, plunging backward onto and then over the left rear wheel of the tractor. The corner of the bale struck Mr. Giles, and his foot slipped off the brake. By the time he’d recovered and found it again, the tractor had rolled down the hill another two or three yards. The front wheels of the wagon (this wagon had two axels) were now over the edge of the hill. The sudden jolting stop sent nine or ten more bales off the front.
Curtis and Lloyd had seen it all from the back of the load. Seconds after Ellen disappeared over the front of the wheel, they both jumped off the straw, hitting the ground in unison. Curtis was first to see the results. Ellen was wedged between the tractor’s large rear wheel and the dirt road. Mr. Giles was pushing the brake with his right foot and the clutch with his left with all his strength. His hat had been knocked off and he was shaking. His leathered face was pale as paste, and his eyes were full of fear.
Win your autographed copy of The Pigpen by Kevin Krogh
Must be a follower of the blog to enter.
1 entry for sharing your thoughts on pigs (I personally can't handle the smell, but my boys adore our neighbor's pigs so we visit more often than I would like)
2 entries for sharing the current giveaway on Twitter or Facebook (please provide a link)
4 entries for posting about the current giveaway or the month-long contest on your personal blog or putting it on your sidebar. If you post about the overall contest, please let me know which book you'd like your extra entries put towards. (please provide a link)
Please include an e-mail address or other contact info.
Contest closes February 12th.
Contest open to residents of U.S. and Canada.
Tomorrow I'll be giving away, All the Stars in Heaven by Michele Holmes.
Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2017 (40)
- ► 2016 (68)
- ► 2015 (93)
- ► 2014 (124)
- ► 2013 (199)
- ► 2012 (158)
- ► 2011 (85)
- Book Giveaway - Love Your Body by Brooke Parker
- Winner - My Son, John
- Book Giveaway - All the Stars in Heaven by Michele...
- Winner - Altared Plans
- Book Giveaway - The Pigpen by Kevin Krogh
- Book Giveaway - Torn Apart by Diony George
- Winner - Loyalty's Web
- Winner - Chickens in the Headlights
- Book Giveaway - Women of Virtue by Jodi Robinson
- Winner - Guided by Him to a Thinner, Not-So Stress...
- Book Giveaway - A Tapestry of Spells by Lynn Kurla...
- Book Giveaway - Altered State by Gregg Luke
- Winner - Where the Wind Blows
- One Lovely Blog Award
- Book Giveaway - Methods of Madness by Stephanie Bl...
- Winner - 101 Gourmet Cupcakes
- Book Giveaway - Counting the Cost by Liz Adair
- Book Giveaway - The Sister Pact by Cami Checketts
- Win Discipline Me Right by Mary Simmons
- Giveaway - My Son, John by Kathi Macias
- Altared Plans by Rebecca Talley
- Win Loyalty's Web by Joyce DiPastena
- Win Chickens in the Headlights by Matthew Buckley
- Book Giveaway - Guided by Him to a Thinner, Not so...
- Book Giveaway - Where the Wind Blows
- 101 Gourmet Cupcakes Giveaway
- Happy New Year
- ▼ January (27)
My Favorite Sites
- My Devotional Thoughts
- I'd Rather Be Reading At The Beach
- I Am a Reader Not a Writer
- My Book a Day
- Blooming with Books
- We All Make Mistakes in Books
- Read Your Writes
- Brooklyn Berry Designs
- Fitness for Mom
- Getting Your Read On
- A Booklover Forever
- Amber Argyle
- Charity Writes
- Jen's Blog of Random Thoughts
- Cheryl's Book Nook
- Janet Jensen
- Diony George
- Rachelle Writes
- Good Clean Reads
- Lo Johnston Writing
- Rachel Ann Nunes, Author
- Socrates Book Reviews
- Jill Will Run
- The Book Bug
- The Book Journey
- Caution Redhead Running
- I Have Run
- Always Training Trio
- Hungry Runner Girl
- If I can't convince you - I'll atleast confuse you
- Just Me & My Running Shoes
- Just Trying is for Little Girls
- Larissa Milano Fitness
- Literary Time Out
- Miss Mae
- Mom and More
- Tristi Pinkston, LDS Author
- Pam's Wildrose Blog
- Reading with Monie
- Make it Simple Sister
- a journey in the shoes of a foodie, athlete & wife
- Run Fast Mommy
- Raketer Mama
- The Balanced Writer
- Princess Runs
- Tall Mom on the Run
- Running Diva Mom
- Running Rachel